Black bean patties with cilantro and lime
Looking for a light summer burger? These black bean patties are delicious on a whole-grain bun (try an Aunt Millie's Slimwich bun) with lettuce, fresh salsa, sliced avocado, cilantro sprig and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt!
Thank you, Karen Koeppe, Packard Health's Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator.
Black Bean Patties With Cilantro and Lime
(From The American Diabetes Association Vegetarian Cookbook by Steven Petusevsky)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (16-oz) can organic black beans with liquid
- 1 1/2 cups fine breadcrumbs, unseasoned
- 1/2 cup cornmeal, yellow or white
- 1 Tbsp freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar or Jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, minced (extra sprigs for garnish)
- In a large nonstick pan heat olive oil and sauté onions, peppers, garlic, and spices. Sauté for 3 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add black beans with liquid and sauté with vegetables for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add breadcrumbs, cornmeal, lime juice, and salt. Remove 1 cup of bean mixture and purée in a blender or food processor until a coarse purée is formed. Fold the purée back into the bean mixture. Add the cheddar cheese and cilantro, combine well. Mixture should resemble a coarse paste and be stiff enough to hold up in a scoop or spoon.
- With an ice cream scoop or spoon, form 3-4 ounce portions. Sprinkle a plate with cornmeal and place scooped black bean portions on plate. Lightly dust black bean mixture with cornmeal and press down gently, forming a patty.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a large nonstick pan with vegetable oil. Brown patty cakes for 2 minutes on each side. If pan is ovenproof, transfer to oven and bake for 15 minutes or until heated through (flip over halfway through baking). Or transfer patty cakes to a cookie sheet pan and bake.
- Serve atop a whole grain bun with desired toppings (see above).