Patient Advocate Coordinator
Employment type: Full time with full benefits
Objective: The primary responsibility of the Patient Advocate Coordinator will be to serve as staff lead and support to the Patient Advocates of Packard Health, ensuring that advocacy and outreach activities and programs run effectively. This role includes coordination of the volunteers who support Packard Health, primarily with the Food Pantry but also as clerical support. Additionally, the Coordinator serves as a Patient Advocate who assists current and potential patients with health insurance enrollment, food and medication assistance, and health education.
Coordinator Job Responsibilities will include:
· Leading in the recruiting, hiring, orientation, development and evaluation of Patient Advocate staff.
· Supervising and providing direction to Patient Advocates; ensuring that associated policies and procedures are consistently upheld across all sites.
· Monitoring Patient Advocates schedules and managing time off requests.
· Planning and facilitating periodic Patient Advocate Meetings for information sharing and training.
· Participating in Development Committee meetings for coordination of Outreach activities by Committee and Patient Advocates.
· Coordinating and managing volunteers who serve the Food Pantry as delivery or shopping support, as well as volunteers for clerical support.
Patient Advocate Job Responsibilities will include:
· Verifying eligibility of uninsured patients (and potential patients) for various government-sponsored health plans and enroll them in the appropriate program;
· Assisting patients who move their care from other providers to Packard Health with a smooth transition of their care;
· Completing on-line insurance enrollment applications for the Healthcare Marketplace, Washtenaw Health Plan and other coverage plans that require face-to-face enrollment. The Advocate will be trained through a curriculum approved by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to enroll patients in varies DHHS programs and by the Michigan Medicaid/Medicare Assistance program to assist with enrollment in Medicare, using online and paper-based enrollment tools and systems;
· Managing the entire food pantry operation at Packard Health and helping patients shop
· Evaluating options for free or low-cost medications and assisting patients with completing appropriate applications for medication assistance;
· Providing capacity-building skills to patients to complete forms, anticipate re-enrollment deadlines, and consume health care appropriately;
· Helping develop or refine clear, easy-to-read materials, including but not limited to: checklists of items needed for insurance and Washtenaw Health Plan enrollment, and a simple handout on options for low-cost or free medications;
· Seeking and obtaining community resources for patients as needed;
· Maintaining accurate, organized, and confidential patient advocacy records; and
· Working with other community agencies in area
· Representing Packard Health in Outreach activities, as assigned.
* Other responsibilities and tasks as assigned.
1. High school degree or GED; associates degree preferred
2. Ability to use windows-based computing systems and established online and paper-based systems to enroll patients in needed services and maintain patient records
3. Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills
4. Knowledge of insurance and billing
5. Compassionate; patient; friendly, outgoing; culturally competent
6. Ability to identify and use resources; pro-active; self-motivated; independent
7. Attention to detail
8. Fluent in English and Spanish
This position is full-time with benefits. Hours are Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.