The role of the Medical Assistant is to assist the physicians and/or midlevel providers in providing consistent, quality medical care. The Medical Assistant will be involved in the preparation and assistance of patients for various examinations, procedures and rooming of patients. Other duties include clinical tasks, such as blood draws, injections, vaccinations, finger sticks, inventory and recording of vital information.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Greets and courteously escorts patient and other guests to examination room.
- Determines and documents reason for the visit; utilizes critical thinking skills within the scope of the role to assess if patient information requires higher level follow up.
- Obtains patient vital signs and accurately documents information in patient EMR file; including vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, height and weight.
- Performs diagnostic tests as directed by healthcare provider.
- Informs patient of laboratory/diagnostic test results as directed by provider and according to office protocols; communicates with patient regarding provider instructions based on test results received.
- Administers prescribed medications and vaccines as directed by healthcare provider.
- Performs general specimen collection duties (including blood, urine, throat swabs, etc.) or other office procedures as required.
- Actively works to improve practice performance and safety protocols.
- Provides patient/family education as directed by healthcare provider.
- Takes and relays accurate, comprehensive, dated and signed messages in a timely manner.
- Serves as liaison between patient and healthcare provider when necessary. Ensures timely and courteous follow-up regarding patient questions.
- Attends required meetings and training.
- Performs COVID 19 cleaning protocols and safety measures.
- Reports daily personal COVID 19 screening.
- Supports other offices and training as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned and works within the scope of Medical Assistant certification.
- Completes Patient Intake assessments for TeleHealth appointments.
- Closes gaps for preventative PCMH measures and quality improvement.
- Ensures complete and accurate documentation
- Compliant with the basic principles of Infection Control and Hand Hygiene practices.
- Effectively communicate abnormal findings, Urgent/Emergent information to Providers in a timely manner.
- Review and reconcile medications.
- Maintain HIPPA compliancy and PHI at all times.
- Provide general administrative support to the medical practice.
- Duties are performed under the oversight of the Office Manager and Practice Director.
- New Hire- Skill Check off
- Compliance testing
- Ability to multi-task in a faced paced clinical environment, while maintaining the integrity of Packard standards.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Work Environment: Fast paced clinic; smoke and drug free
- Standing for long periods during work shift
- Bending and lifting over 25lb
Travel Required: Ability to travel locally to other office/practice sites for mandatory meetings and training locations.
Required Education & Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED required. Successful completion of accredited/approved Medical Assistant program preferred. (Certified)
- Demonstrated competency in obtaining accurate patient vital statistics (height, weight, blood pressure, temperature, etc.) and patient health history.
- Proficient/knowledgeable in medical terminology.
- Phlebotomy (Adult/Peds)
- Proficiency in operating a standard desktop and Windows-based computer system, including but not limited to, electronic medical records, email, e-learning and intranet.
- Ability to use other software as required while performing the essential functions of the job.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal forms, including proper phone etiquette.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment, courteous and friendly demeanor.
- Ability to cross-train in other areas of practice in order to achieve smooth flow of all operations.
- Good organizational and time management skills to effectively handle multiple priorities, time constraints and ever-changing medical situations.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations needed during the course of performing basic job duties, i.e.: calculating proper dosages for immunizations.
- Familiar with VFC and MCIR or similar vaccine management systems
- Knowledge of the compliance aspects of clinical care and patient privacy and best practices in medical office operations.
- Ability to handle patient and organizational information in a confidential manner.
- Ability to monitor, organize, stock, prepare and keep exam rooms clean; maintain medical supply inventory in clinical areas.
- Ability to clean and maintain medical equipment.
- Ability to wear a mask and proper PPE throughout your shift.
Preferred Education & Experience: 1-year previous clinical experience or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred. (Non-Certified)
- MA-Non-Credentialed I: MA eligible to attain Medical Assistant Certification is desired. Valid CPR certification required.
- MA-Credentialed I: Certification as a Medical Assistant through one of the following certifying agencies:
- American Association of Medical Assistants (CMA)
- American Medical Technologists (RMA)
- National Center for Competency Testing (NCMA)
- National Health career Association (CCMA)
- National Association of Health Professionals (NRCMA)
- National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP)
- American Medical Certification Association (AMCA)
This job description is a general description of job functions. It is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of Packard Health are expected to perform tasks as assigned by Packard Health supervisory/management personnel, regardless of job title or routine job duties. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Packard Health will provide reasonable accommodations for individuals who can perform the essential functions of this job.