Breakfast Egg and Ham Burrito
Source: Diabetes Food Hub
What's better than a home cooked breakfast? Easy, a breakfast that magically appears on your plate. Since that can't happen, we're going to share the next best thing, a recipe that's quick, healthy, and diabetic friendly. Breakfast burritos can be customized using your favorite veggies, and since eggs are high in protein, these will help keep you full longer!
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat, shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons trans fat free margarine
- 4 slices (about 3 ounces) reduced-sodium, chopped deli ham
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 4 corn tortillas (heated)
- 4 teaspoons salsa
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, hot pepper sauce, black pepper, and cheese.
- Heat the margarine in a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the ham and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Remove the ham from the pan.
- Add the onions and green peppers to the hot pan, and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the ham back to pan.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the eggs to pan. Gently stir the eggs with a spoon or spatula and continue lightly cooking over low heat until the eggs are cooked and set.
- Evenly divide the egg mixture into 4 servings. Spoon each portion of the egg mixture into a tortilla and top each with 1 tsp. salsa. Fold the tortilla to close.