Orange, Avocado & Asparagus Salad
Good-For-Us! Eating Well
Here’s an easy-to-make salad from Karen Koeppe, Packard Health’s Nutritionist and Certified Diabetes Educator. This salad is bright and beautiful. The combination of oranges and tomatoes offers a nice, tangy complement to the rich avocado and asparagus flavors.
The recipe is from the American Diabetes Association “Food Hub” recipe collection, Karen’s go-to source for healthy eating. Check it out: https://www.diabetesfoodhub.org/
- 1 bunch asparagus
- Baby spinach or spring mix greens
- 1 large orange, peeled & cut in
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 large tomato, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled & diced
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP white balsamic vinegar
- 1 TSP maple syrup
- 1⁄4 TSP salt
- 1⁄4 TSP black pepper
- Place asparagus in a pot of boiling water over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until asparagus is tender, about 10 minutes. Drain asparagus and submerge immediately in a bowl of ice water.
- Divide lettuce evenly among six salad bowls or plates.
- Combine orange, tomato, and avocado in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Drain asparagus and add to orange mixture. Pour dressing over orange mixture and stir gently to combine. Spoon mixture on top of greens and serve.