Pear-walnut-cranberry croustini appetizer
Welcome holiday guests with a delicious, nutritious appetizer that features in-season pears and dried cranberries (loaded with antioxidants). Quick and easy!
Thank you to Karen Koeppe, Packard Health Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator for this recipe.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 8 oz. French bread or whole grain baguette, sliced diagonally 1⁄2” thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil (for drizzling)
- 1/2 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1 large, just-ripe Bartlett pear, chopped small
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (try Eden Foods organic – Clinton, MI company)
- 2 Tbsp. Michigan honey
- Pre-heat the oven to broil. Place the baguette slices on a foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Broil for 1-2 minutes, until toasty. Remove from the oven.
- Spread each toasted baguette slice with ricotta cheese.
- In a small bowl, gently combine the pear, dried cranberries, and walnuts. Add the honey; mix together.
- Evenly distribute the fruit-nut mixture over the baguette slices; serve!