Sweet potato chili for chilly nights
Packard Health’s Registered Dietician, Karen Koeppe shares a heart-warming chili made with a variety of beans and sweet potatoes before being simmered in spiced and diced tomatoes. It’s a crowd-pleaser, budget-friendly, readily whipped up on the stovetop in under 30 minutes!
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) kidney beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) garbanzo beans
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (My local favorite: Dyer Family Organic Farm Garlic – any variety – available at Argus Farm Stop located at 1200 Packard Rd. http://www.argusfarmstop.com/)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (can modify according to personal preference)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon – Yes!
- Dried red chili flakes, to taste
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- Saute garlic, onion, diced sweet potato and spices in 1 Tbsp olive oil until soft and fragrant.
- Add 2 c. vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, beans(drained and rinsed) and diced peppers
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender
- Serve chili hot with optional toppings (e.g. sliced green onions, sliced jalapenos, dollops of plain non-fat Greek yogurt)