Mediterranean diet - Savor it!
The Mediterranean Diet, the sensible, healthy-eating model that's been around for 20 years is the subject of two new studies.*
And it's all good news...
The "Med" Diet reduces risk of stroke and heart attack, and Type 2 diabetes.
Celebrate the Med Diet!
1. For a healthy, tasty treat - It's Greek to Me Dip recipe
2. Focus on fruits & vegetables (2+ cups veggies/day, and at least 1 fruit)
3. Load up on legumes and beans
4. Eat fish twice a week or more (baked, broiled, or grilled)
5. Emphasize Extra-Virgin Olive Oil -Drizzle & dip it, use in cooking (not baking).
6. Grab a handful of unsalted or lightly-salted nuts every day. Sprinkle in Greek yogurt, on salads, in brown rice/vegetable dishes, or as an afternoon snack. Don't go nuts - a small handful will do!
It's also a style of living ...
- Think quality over quantity with smaller portions
- Dine with family & friends - Savor the food and enjoy the company
- Enjoy a walk after your meal - Lower blood sugar and speed digestion
* Prevention of diabetes with Mediterranean diets, AIM, January 2014